Tuesday, June 1, 2010

here's hopin...

KOROVUO KIDS!

I dont know what the deal is with the pictures, I wanted them all to go at the end of the post, so it would look pretty. oh well, no big deal. I guess it doesnt matter! Here you all goooo

Marie, Dana, Sherry, Me and Nicolle makin our first adobe stove at Rucilla'sMe, Kristy and Dana with some kids from Korovuo! Greatest village ever
Me and some Korovuo kids at their Kava party- this little kid in the orange wouldnt stop sitting in my lap and holding my hand- and the kid in the red is basically my Fijian boyfriend. He loves hugs, it's the best everrr
Sarah, Courtney, Dana, Me, Lisa, and Nicolle- Lucy in the background
We are so cool. Right before we went scuba diving at the Robinson crusoe island- Kayla, Courtney, Me, Brita
Did I tell you how beautiful it is here?
Picture of our house, his name is Kermit. basically, every square inch of the house is painted different shades of green.This is our living room- all of our furniture was donated. Currently, I am sleeping in the coveted hospital chair. It's surprisingly comfy

mah bed- I sleep in a room with 6 other girls! partaaayDinner time! Fish heads
Nicolle, Sherry, and me with our fijian flowers

Alright! I'm going to give this blog update another whack. If it doesn't work again, so help me, I will punch this computer.

I am just going to try to give you a little update on how my average day goes here in Fiji! So there are fifteen volunteers total living in our little house in Tavua, and we are all in charge of our own projects. The projects vary from square foot gardens, to adobe stoves, to teaching health, fitness, nutrition, and business classes. My project is teaching music! It's going a little slow right now, because there haven't ever been any other people before me to teach music, so I'm the pioneer! Basically, there are two parts to my project. 1) I teach music classes to schools, womens groups, and any community group that is interested. Right now, I travel to Lautoka by bus to teach three different villages my lessons once a week- soon I will be teaching in the schools and womens groups. 2) Me and another volunteer, Sherry, teach piano lessons to the students in the LDS chapel (because that's the only place that has a piano, it's a small electric one) after they have their seminary lesson which is after school. So that's the basics of my project, I will keep you updated on that, hopefully it goes well.

In addition to my own project, I help other people with their own projects throughout the week-almost every day we have an adobe stove or a square foot garden to build- in addition to that, we have fitness and health lessons that are really fun to do, mostly with womens groups. Occasionally we work in the hospitals to help take people's vitals and record them down- a huge percentage of the people living in Fiji are diagnosed with diabetes- it's a huge problem. So most people have to have a check up every couple of months, some every couple of weeks, depending on how severe it is. That's also an awesome project to be involved with, I really get the opportunity to work closely with the people here. Did I mention how friendly they all are here?!! I LOVE it! I wish everyone could have a little taste of the Fiji culture at least once in their life- It is honestly the best place ever. Alright! I'm signin out- next time I will bring my journal so I can share some specific experiences- I have a whole bunch of sweeeeet stories I want to share with you all. soooooo stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Holy Crap! TOTALLY love the post! You look so beautiful, and those kids are all SOOOO flippin cute! You are the bomb.com DOn't you ever forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness Rachel this all sounds so awesome! Look at all the stuff you get to do! Holy smokes. It is beautiful over there...and oh my word you look gorgeous! I want to be you so bad!

    ReplyDelete